Watching Airplanes

Wisdom often comes when we least expect it, doesn’t it? A song on the radio has a line in it that sticks on your head. Someone makes a remark in a casual conversation that you can’t help but remember. God is always finding new places to speak from.

On a warm July night, I camped out with two of my good friends. We were sixteen and all counselors at the same camp looking for a relaxed night off. We built a fire as the sun went down and sat around talking for a long while- about girls, about faith, about school… whatever. Life was simple and easy.

As we all laid back on the grass and decided to give in to the eventual draw of sleep, my friend Spencer said one thing that I’ll never forget. An airplane traced its way through the sky above us, a late-night flight bound for some unknown destination. Spencer took in a breath like he was about to speak, then stopped and thought for a while. “Have you guys ever thought about the people on those planes? There’s a hundred people in that little dot with families and friends and lives. When they look down on us, we’re just specks down here, you know?”

I blinked, realizing that Spencer had said something deep and inspired. I gathered my thoughts and, determined to give him an adequate response that was equally insightful, I nodded my head and gave a profound “yeah, cool.”

I’ve thought about what Spencer said a lot, and I think I like it so much because it reminds me of how important perspective is. We’re told in Sunday school to try walking a mile in someone else’s shoes; we rarely try going through their daily lives in those same shoes. Too often we don’t realize what a person has been through when we take that cheap shot or slide that little insult at them; we don’t stop and really try and understand the other person in a heated argument. It holds true in politics, sports, and just about everything else- when it comes down to it, you’re right and they’re wrong.

I think God wants us to think about other perspectives more. To try and really and truly understand the people and the world around us. Diversity exists for a reason, and it’s not for differentiation or alienation. It’s for a fresh take on things; an undiscovered history or a new understanding. Everyone you meet has a story to tell- we just need to stop writing our own sometimes to hear what they have to say.

God’s perspective may be the most important one of all to try and comprehend. To me, God is, in elementary terms, like the man who loves a woman that doesn’t share his feelings. He does everything for her-- makes sacrifices, promises a perfect future and love, true love… and she turns away.

The woman, obviously, is you and me. God created the Earth for us; he blessed us with life and love and family. He promises us eternal life and happiness- even offered up the ultimate sacrifice in his Son and flesh- and we still turn our shoulder and opt for the earthy lust of Sin. God is patiently waiting for us to stop seeking selfish and shallow gratification through sin and realize that he’s been waiting all along with open arms.

Everyone has a chance to write the rest of their story.

What will yours say?