UNC Application Essay

My essay for my UNC-Chapel Hill application. The prompt was to describe an interaction with someone of a different ethnicity or background and how it is special to you.

I used to think I had a small family. One brother, two cousins, a handful of aunts and uncles, a full set of grandparents… it wasn’t until a few years ago that I realized I had brothers and sisters from all walks of life and part of the world, more than I could have ever asked for or dreamed of.
My time spent working at the Vineyard Camp has helped me to forge amazing bonds of friendship and adopted family that I wouldn’t trade for anything in the world. With an international-friendly staff and atmosphere, I have been introduced to people from all over the world, from South Korea to Colombia. The most special relationships to me, besides those with my American friends, are the close friendships that I have with several Mexican college students in Puebla, Mexico, and the most significant of those with one of my best friends and true brothers, Alejandro Banda Munozcano.
Alejandro and I worked two summers together at camp, and for both I was fortunate enough to have him as my head counselor in the cabin. We lived together for a total of twelve weeks between the two summers, looking after kids and joking around together. From talks about girls to my laughable attempts at learning Spanish on the front porch, Ale and I have spent most of the last two summers in each other’s company.
Our interaction extended even further when our tenures at camp last summer ended. We took a vacation in Florida with Arturo Camacho, another brother. We stayed with close friends of ours and spent the week at the beach and in amusement parks, all the while enjoying everyone’s company and bringing us all closer together. I always look back at that trip when I need to put a smile on my face. I remember watching “Anchorman” with the guys on the trip down (and having to explain most of the jokes); playing Risk on the computer to try and pass the time between flights; learning how to hit on girls in Spanish—and subsequently failing when trying to apply said lessons to the Latino flight attendant.
Later in the year, I went to Mexico to spend New Years’ Eve with Alejandro and everyone in Puebla. The trip was indescribable; easily the best experience of my young life. Living in another country for a week with amazing people and scenery; becoming the guest rather than the host. We weren’t tourists, I and two other American friends from the camp. We were family coming home for the holidays. These two trips have become a staple of my life and I couldn’t imagine my year without them.
This relationship has taught me that true friendship knows no barriers. Distance, language, time...Alejandro and I have found ways to overcome all of these. Even if we can only e-mail each other for 9 months of the year, we are still able to keep close in spirit. We have yet to meet any true obstacles, only trials that make our friendship stronger. I have the pleasure and luxury of meeting up with him again in Mexico over the holidays, and even if we have to part ways after that he will always be my brother.

My family doesn’t seem so small anymore.